Transcript from photo.
Foundry of Flatenberg is one of the best preserved foundry environments in
Sweden. It is written about the the place already in the 1300 and the first
foundry was built about 1600.
In the furnace of the foundry iron ore was melted which had been broken in the
mines nearby like:
Humboberg, Håksberg, Nyberget and Gräsberg. The foundry place near lake Barken
was carefully planned as the lake was an important transport way. 1795 was Strömshom channel ready and now the iron could be transported through Mälaren to
The foundry team.
The foundry of Flatenberg was owned by group
farmers around. No factory has ever owned it. The so called Bergsmen
were the foundry team. South of the workplace there are still some
fine manor houses owned by the owners.
These owners broke the ore themselves and also produced the necessary
coal. All of them had their own coal house and stores. Together
they hired one foundry leader who was responsible for work in the
furnace and in the decided order melted their ore to iron. 1907
there were 20 owners in the furnace team.
we can see today was built 1870. The furnace pipe is free from the
building and 11 m high.
Some years earlier was the rust oven built which can be seen to the left
of the picture. Before the ore was able to be melted, they were forced to
heat up the ore, to get rid of contaminations. The new built rust oven
was fired with gas from the furnace. In this was energy was spared.
1870 the Flatenberg channel was digged. The water was taken through a
tube down to the foundry and gave the water turbine power. There was
also a steam engine installed to be used when water ceased. When there
is guiding you can visit the machine house and se the turbine and also
the crossing machine for ore and also the blowing machine. Here there
are also different winders for slag path, ore path, coal path, rust oven
path and lots of tool paths.
which was produced was pig iron. This is a iron type with much coal and
it is not possible to forge. In order to get this iron forgeable it must
get rid of coal. This was usually made in a hammer. During one period
Flatenberg had one smaller forge a short way up streams the channel.
Later the steel was moved to other more specialized hammers.
The Flatenberg foundry was in use up to 1918, but after the WWI the
request for iron was reduced in Europe.
When the foundry was new it produced 20-30 tons of steel a year. In the
end it was 3000 tons. In spite of it's effectiveness the furnace was not
modern and it could not live longer.
1984 the old rust oven and furnace were renovated. The Judge house and
wharf up to the rust oven was updated. Just on the back side of the
furnace you can see one of the coal houses.
Take a walk along the was sight point. With the help of old photos you
can see how Flatenberg looked like for 70-90 years ago.