Högfors Bruk
Transcript of photo.

History.

Today Högfors doesn't give any impression to ever has been a industrial community. But only for 50 years ago were there 250 worker employed at Högfors foundry.

In the second part of 1800 this factory was owned by the county governor in Norrbotten Knut Åkerhielm, but during this time the family company Högfors and Persbo AB was established. Knut Åkerhielm and the speaker of first chamber in Sweden Hugo Hamilton worked as managers. Today owner 1917  Avesta Iron AB.

Högfors foundry.
1539 a foundry was built in Högfors. Some years later 2 burghers got permission from Gustav Vasa to start one hammer. It was the first one in Sweden and the start for Högfors development. Gustav Vasa and Karl Ix were part owners, but during 1700 Högfors was overtaken by mill owners. Högfors has since been owned by several notable prominent families, like Brahe, Banér, d'la Gardie and others.

In the end of 1800 the ownership went over to family company Högfors Persbo AB. It was bought 1917 by Avesta Iron AB and was inuse till 1953.
This foundry part was built 1915 - 1917. It consist of 2 blast furnaces, sinter part, granulation and pig iron foundry consist of 2 dome ovens. Everything was in operation till 1953. All buildings were teared down and the rest were preserved 1974.

The name Högfors is coming from the high waterfalls and streams, which the Norberg river is formed at this place. Already during the Middle Ages was the water power used for iron production.

Foundry Forging and steel work.
During 1800 there were besides the foundry one Lancashire and hammer forging. There was also one steel oven where burned steel was produced. It was hard and expensive to make steel. The main material was bar iron of pig iron from the furnace. The steel oven and forging work were abandoned 1895.

The ruin you can see today are the rests from a rater late foundry. It was built 1915 - 1916 and is situated on the place for the old furnace. All ore for Högfors came from the mines in Norberg.
During 1920 1200 to 1500 tons of pig iron were produced here a month. During this time about 70 workers had job here. Högfors had also one power plant, one mill, joiner's workshop, small smithy and sinter production.

The pipes of the foundry :  Height 17 m,  built after Tholander's construction. This produced 15000 tons of pig iron a year for one oven.  The foundry was reared down 1974 and today only the main foundry pipes made of shaft stone are left.

Manor.
Jacob d'la Gardie built the first real manor in the middle of 1600.  From the beginning it was built in Carolingian style, but was re built 1974. At this time the side building and new ones  were built. The attic parts of the manor are also from this period.

Living houses, stable an coal house.
Beyond the manor and the marks of foundry there are also exciting building to look at. The big coal house was built 1915 at the same time as the furnace. It has a length of 150 m and one of the largest wooden house in Sweden.  Here coal was stored before used in the furnace.  From the south gable a transport unit took the coal to the furnace.
In the end of 1800 and beginning of 1900 several living houses were built for the workers in Högfors. Most of them are gone, but on the other side of the Norberg river there is a red house. This was a building for the black smiths. They had not much place and lacked of kitchen and novelties.
Look also inside the imposing stable from 1809. Just besides is the supervisor house situated. The three shaft stone columns in front of the manor are the rest of the transporter for ore to sinter works.

Literary center.
When this factory was sold 1917 the old owners, family Åkerhielm, kept the manor. Hugo Hamilton was sun-in-law in the family and within the society with the Geijer family. The writer Erik Gustav Geijer was the grandmother for Hugo Hamilton.
In Högfors there was a large society of manor life . The daughter of Hugo Florrie Hamilton collected a cultural home around and among others also Emilie Fogelclou was included. Even the grand children of Olof Lagercrants and cousin for Florrie Agnes von Krusenstjerna were included.

Back