Kaiser 1954. Ref. 1
Kaiser 1954. Ref. 1

Autoseum carmuseum American cars
Text and pictures  Björn Bellander  Pictures current 2015, 16, 17. 11 pages
Official website
Back
  Swedish version

Updated
2021-06-12

©Copyright
Björn Bellander

 

See also my other websites about Autoseum with
Introduction, American cars, English cars, German cars, French cars,
Veteran cars, Other cars, MC, Sport Race cars

Pontiac, Cadillac, Packard, REO, Studebaker, Kaiser, Plymouth, Zimmer, Oldsmobile, Lincoln, Erskine Links

Page 1

Created 160328

Back

Swedish version

Pontiac 1927
  Info Pontiac. Ref. 1
Info Pontiac. Ref. 1
Info at former Skoklostermuseum. Ref. 1
Info at former Skoklostermuseum. Ref. 1
Pontiac info. Ref. 1
Pontiac info. Ref. 1
Pontiac Roadster 1908. Ref. 56
Pontiac Roadster 1908. Ref. 56

Links

Pontiac car

Indianen Pontiac

Oakland

Fd Skokloster

Oakland Motor division
Pontiac. Ref. 1
Pontiac. Ref. 1
Pontiac

Pontiac car started in city of Pontiac, Michigan 1893, as Pontiac Buggy Company. The man who established this was Edward Murphy. He realized 1907 that car production should be something big and started the company Oakland Motor Car Company

The car badge Pontiac arose 1927 when GM established Pontiac Motor Division Assembly in the city of Pontiac Michigan.

The badge has no history of it's own either than during early 1920 there was a large immigration from the south of USA of people coming to work in the car factories.

Pontiac badge was another car model in GM Oakland factory and it was supposed to be a cheaper model. A new factory was built to produce this Pontiac car.

The car was mainly built up from parts of Chervrolet, Buick and others.

The body design tried to give the badge a close connection to the great leader of the Ottawa Indian people. The Indian head on the engine hood and the chrome lines going over the hood.

Pontiac was best selling during 1920 th and down period came 2000 and the badge was closed down 2010. Pontiac factory was closed 1982.

The car shown is overtaken from former Skokloster museum and all its museum cars was sold 1907.

Then 2015 most cars were sold again on an auction 2015. This Pontiac was paid 65000 Skr a rather high prize compared to other cars.


Original info from former Skoklostermuseum. Ref. 1
Original info from former Skoklostermuseum. Ref. 1
Front wheel upright construction. Ref. 1
Front wheel upright construction. Ref. 1
The car when exhibited at former Skokloster museum. Ref. 1
The car when exhibited at former Skokloster museum. Ref. 1

Page 2

Back

Swedish version

Cadillac 1939 Imperial Touring V8

Cadillac Imperial Touring V8 1939. Ref. 1
Cadillac Imperial Touring V8 1939. Ref. 1
Svenska kungen Gustaf V Cadillac 1939 på Sparreholms Bilmuseum. Ref. 1
A16 på Sparreholm
Info Cadillac A16 på Sparrehoms bilmuseum. Ref. 1

Info Sparreholm Kings Cadillac in the ditch. Ref. 49
Kings Cadillac in the ditch. Ref. 49 KingsCROWN marked  Cadillac 1946. Ref. 49
Kings CROWN marked Cadillac 1946. Ref. 49
Paper telling about the ditch driving 1946. Ref. 39
Paper telling about the ditch driving 1946. Ref. 39

Links

Sparreholm museum

The cars of King's Mews

The King's Curve

Svenska kungen Gustaf VI Adolf kortege bil ägd av hovstallet. Ref. 1
 A4 på Autoseum (fd på Skokloster)
The Swedish court had apparently 2 Cadillac Imperial Touring cars registered as A16 and A4. Both cars have been used by the kings Gustav V and Gustav VI Adolf.

According to the museum of Sparreholm had the car registered number A16 at the infamous ditch drive at the place which later was named Kings curve.

The actual place is today 2010 hard to find because all the new buildings in the area. But few knows today that at the current happening the area was named Smista, a name which rapidly was forgotten.

Rather sure is that it was with the car A16 which was driven by the driver Gösta Ledin. He was not one of the King's ordinary driver.

I found this text in a blog named Seniorbolgg: During the late 1940 the court stable which handled transportations for the Kings family had several limousines badges Cadillac.

The car A16 was one of them and may be the car which was the ground to name the place into King's curve. In September 1946 King Gustav V was on the way home after hunting at castle of Tullgarn.

His society and two fellow hunters were travelling in the car, when the driver went of the road just west of Stockholm. According to the Seniorblogg.

I show two pictures with the car placed in the ditch. One of the proof that the Cadillac not has it's registration no. and instead was identified with the Crown.

The third picture, an interesting article in paper Signalhornet about a taxi driver in Frändefors Dalsland, who bought the A4 car for 15000 Skr 1950.

Berättelsen om händelsen i Smista, blivande Kungens Kurva. Ref. 1
The story about accident in Smista. later named Kings turn. Ref. 1
I have also visited the car museum of Sparreholm. The cars of court stable may often change register no.? From Sparreholm I have copied the text which tell us about what happened.

Another thing that I have not under control is that I visited Skokloster museum in the beginning of 2000. The Cadillac probably the  A4 car also was pretended there to be "the King's Curve car". That  must be the car which now is shown at Autoseum auction.

I did not take any photo, I think, but anyway I cannot find the negative. The car was placed just behind the inlet cabin to the right of entrance. Light and distance was too bad for my simple analog camera.

Funny with this kind of stories. One thing is for sure clear. There were two Cadillac Imperial touring cars from 1939 at Swedish Royal court stable.

One, the A4 sold 2015, by Autoseum for 360000 Skr with locked engine and one is placed at Museum of Sparreholm A16. Both are assumed to be the "Kings Curve Cars".

Note. I visited Court stable, located behind Dramatic theatre 1995 together with Cadillac Club of Sweden. At this opportunity there were only three cars in place. One old Bentley, one Cadillac one Daimler and  the Seven Glass Wagon. in Court stable.


Page 3

Back

Swedish version

Packard Super 8 1939

Info Packard Super Eight. Ref. 1
Info Packard Super Eight. Ref. 1

Links

Packard Owner's club

Packard

Winton Motor

Packard Electric C

Packard Suoer 8 1939. Ref. 1
Packard Super 8 1939. Ref. 1
Packard Super 8 1939

When reading about Packard and how this mark grew up one gets the feeling that from the beginning it was built up as a well organized industry with strong leaders.

There were 2 brothers, James Ward Packard 1863 -1928 and William Doud Packard 1861 -1923, who saw the opportunities to use the explosion engine for ware transportations. Maybe they also took impression of the poor horses which had to bring everything down to channels and harbors. The roads had not followed the evolution of all transportation needs.

The brothers had a firm which produced horse carriages. Those wagons could easily be changed to be horseless carriages. Their company was named Ohio Packard Electric Company Warren 1900. They had no wagons or cars as a products instead there were electrical stuff. They had to survive economical. James made drawings for so called Horseless wagons 1893. The goal was to switch over to car production.

Winton Stanhope. 1898-99. Public domain.
Winton Stanhope. 1898-99. Public domain.
But not yet they hadn't the economical prerequisites. At last James had the feeling that it took to long to reach this goal. He bought a car named Winton Stanhope which were driving around in the neighborhood. This car had good reputation. They should learn from it. James hade deeper plans than just to copy the car. He wanted to be a collaborator with Winton.

At Winton factory did a coming person worked for education and that was William Hendersson who later should make on of the finest motorcycles.

In order to make an impression he reassembled the car and studied all parts and wrote down what could be done better.

This was done neatly on paper and all was sent to the Winton owner. Of course this was only to make him interested in Packard brothers. This letter can still be seen at Smithsonian museum in Washington. Of course there are other rumors about how Alexander Winton and James Packard fall out into a oral quarrel with each other. Both opportunities did not ended as James probably had planed, when Winton answered in a superior manner "Build a better one then"!

Now James had only to start to build a better car. Of course it became much alike the Winton design including the improvements James had found.

Now we have come to 1899 and their company name was changed to Ohio Automotive Motor Company. Already after two years it was renamed to Packard Motor Co. The development went fast in this time and 1903 Packard sold 500 of their first series car. It was good times and Packard realized that expensive cars which also were well built should be able to sell. During the twenties Packard had the most expensive cars of all.

Well now WWII interfered between and the effects of depression should not reach Packard with full effect. Instead Packard got the commission to produce engines for the European war and a large export to Russia.
Packard had already during WWI produced the war engine named Liberty-engine After the war it was new times and it is true that Packard  had good economy but money will quickly disappear if not cars are sold enough. After merging with Studebaker the selling market for Packard fell and Packard ceased their production 1958.

Note. The Packard shown was sold  for 220000 Skr at Autoseum auction 2015.


Page 4

Back

Swedish version

REO

Museum info Reo. Ref. 1
Museum info Reo. Ref. 1
Info Reo. Ref. 1
Info Reo. Ref. 1
Front end Reo tourer. Ref. 1
Front end Reo tourer. Ref. 1
Reo. Ref. 1
Reo. Ref. 1
Ransom Old race car "Pirate".  Ref 43

 Ransom Old race car "Pirate". Ref 43

Links

Ransom Eli Olds 1

Samuel L. Smith

Nucor Iron
Olds 2013

Curved Dash Olds 1901

Curved Dash Olds 1902

Curved Dash Olds 1903

Curved Dash Olds 1904

Short about Curved Dash Olds

Oldsmobile Wiki

Winton Motor Cars

REO Gold Comet

Diamond T
Reo Tourer. Ref 1
Reo Tourer. Ref 1
Ransom Eli Olds
Ransom Eli Olds. Ref 49.
Ransom Eli Olds. Ref 49.
Ransom was the first generation child after his parents who immigrated from Dorset in England. He was one of fourth sons and born 1864. His father was named Pliny Fiske Olds (1828-1908) worked as a black smith and married to Sarah Whipple. He had settled in Geneva Ohio. The family had four sons and 2 daughters. Ransom was the younger and one older brother was Wallace born 1856.
In this text I use the following names: Ransom=Ranny=Olds

Lansing and Detroit near "the Great Lakes". Ref 49.
Lansing and Detroit near "the Great Lakes". Ref 49.
At the age of 22 1886, the family moved to Lansing Michigan. Ohio and Michigan are situated in connection with the three great lakes on the border to Canada. It was in this area all car factories established. His father continued with his business and brought it in line with the needs in the area. Ransom had both in Geneva and Lansing done missions for the farmers. It is said that he by time didn't like horses and his most wish was to be spared from going by horse wagon. His father opened a firm named P.F.Olds and son (Wallace). Later Ransom took over Wallace place by paying him $1000. Ransom didn't go to the schools for it's days. Instead he educated according time went on.

In the company Ransom worked eagerly and created a horseless wagon. At this time it was steam engine that was important. He succeeded 1887 produce a wagon with 3 wheels. It was possible to drive it in 30 km/h.

Ransom Olds steam car. Ref See link "Early cars story". Ref 49
Ransom Olds steam car. Ref See link "Early cars story". Ref 49
Next version was a gas driven vehicle with four wheels. This one was bought by an English firm in order to be transferred to India. This transport was not succeeded as the steamer probably sank on it's way. Ransom was a good mechanics. He had learned the job during his time when he worked with his father. He got his first patent 1886. It was about a producer gas engine which he had developed by himself.

The engine was meant to be mounted as a help engine for boats. During the 1880 about 2000 of this type was sold and the company earned lots of money. This type of engine was tried in a horseless wagon already 1887. His father Pliny Olds didn't believe in this project but he didn't stop it. Now it was time to start a company for production of the horseless wagons. The old firm was abandoned and Ransom started Olds Motor Vehicle Company in Lansing 1897.

Olds first petrol car. Ref see länk "Early cars story".
Olds first petrol car. Ref see länk "Early cars story".
"Ranny" visited the Chicago Fair 1893 where he saw a petrol/kerosene driven engine. He understood that this was a solution which could be used. An intensive work started now in order to develop the gas engine in order to change gas for petrol/kerosene. He had a ready solution for such an engine 1896. For this construction he searched for patent the same year. His activities of course cost much money and Ransom understood that he could not afford all that money. He came in contact with a restaurant owner in Lansing, Edwar W. Sparrow. He invested money but didn't understand the way how to develop an engine to mount in a wagon. Sparrow demanded result from his invested money. Olds and Sparrow were not agreed on the way to work and Olds company almost went bankruptcy. Olds merged, 1899, now with his father's gas generated engines and got a new investor.
 
Fredrick L. Smith. son to Samuel.  Ref 49. Fredrick L. Smith. son to Samuel. Ref 49.
It was a cooper and lumber merchant, Samuel L. Smith in Detroit. Olds Motor Works now moved to Detroit where a new factory building was set up.
This became the first factory in order to build cars in Detroit. The meaning was that the Olds runabout 1901 should be build here and it was equipped with Ranny's engine.

The car got the name Olds Curved Dash. He had orders for 300 and planed to sell it for $650. The weight was 650 pounds and it was advertized as $1 per pound. There were also other prototypes made to show different models. Now it happened that the factory was on fire and most of
Curved Dash Olds at Motala museum. Ref 1
Curved Dash Olds at Motala museum. Ref 1
the production locals were destroyed. Several different rumours were about that all prototypes and drawings had burned but it is not true, because these had been stored in basement where they were protected. The production now started in the way to get sub production in surrounding companies and during this year 400 cars were produced. During the time when the factory was rebuild with help of the insurance money. All this made that Ransom was overstrained and had to slow down on his intensive work. In order to be able to do this a smaller factory was build in Lansing and Ranny took care of this. The selling of the car now went on without trouble 1905 and the production was 5000 cars a year. The last car rolled of the line 1907. (Note my reminder about Åtvidaberg car in Sweden.)

Samuel Smith's son Fredric had 1902 taken over the lead in Detroit. Fredric and Ransom were not agreed and this ended up with that Ransom left his membership in Olds Motor in Detroit. In big companies it is said that a leader had resigned on his own demand. Anyway Fredric was president and he had naturally forced Ranny to resign. Ranny sold all his shares and withdraw to Lansing. Olds had all basis to be able to start a new production and 1905 till 1909 he succeeded to sell several cars of different models. In order to put Fredric on press he also sold a runabout for $650. Ransom's old company in Detroit, Smith-Olds Motor Works was already 1908 sold to the new car producer General Motors.

REO Royale Eight 1932. Ref 49
REO Royale Eight 1932. Ref 49
With this money he started a new car production under the name REO Motor Car Company. This was the initials in his own name. Ranny now let his employers run the work in Lansing and instead he worked with banking. He only interfered when his company 1934 almost was bankruptcy. 1936 he withdraw from REO and instead started to produce larger lorries.
REO runabout 1905. Ref 49.
REO runabout 1905. Ref 49.
Diamond T. Ref 49.
Diamond T. Ref 49.
REO Bus. Ref 49.
REO Bus. Ref 49.
The company REO was later bought by White Trucks and REO was merged into Diamond T in order to win effects for common productions. Volvo lorries show up as a partner in White in the end of 1990. During the WWII there were no production problems but after the war there were troubles for the company. During a period they produced garden machines and marine engines and had also other types of  activities.

Olds creation which ended in a restructured company in scrap (recycling) line of business. May be a hard word but Nucor Corporation works with recycling The recycling for Nucor 2007 represent a recycled SUV car every fourth second.

The Ransoms car mark Oldsmobile was laid down by General Motors 1990.

Wonder if Ransom Eli Olds, who died 1950 is sufficient what became of his creation.
Ransom Old Race Car "Pirate" Ref 49
Ransom Old Race Car "Pirate" Ref 49

 


Page 5

Back

Swedish version

Studebaker Avanti 1963

Info Studebaker Avanti 1962. Ref. 1
Info Studebaker Avanti 1962. Ref. 1Studebaker Campion Regal 1953. Ref. 1
Info Studebaker Avanti 1962. Ref. 1Info Studebaker Champion Regal 1953. Ref. 1
Info Studebaker Avanti 1962. Ref. 1

Links

Studebaker

Virgil Exener

Raymond Loewy

Avanti car Studebaker

 

Studebaker Avanti 1963. Ref. 1
Studebaker Avanti 1963. Ref. 1
There is no doubt that America have had advantage from all people that has immigrated.

Several immigrators were coming entrepreneurs, had good idéas and even had the strength to realize them.

From Solingen in Germany came a family Staudenbecker. They landed i Philadelphia 1736. They settled down and worked for living as a black smith and woodworker. Later there name is Americanized to Studebaker There were Peter and Clement, wife Anna and son Peter.

From this family grew as time to 5 brothers in the middle of 1800.

You would now remember that large changes happened in USA according to the civil war. At this time transport equipment were needed. All communications for ex. was done with stagecoaches.

The brothers took advantage of this, producing horse drawn vehicles and sold a great many. The family became wagon makers.

Large order came from military and also from private side. They became one of the largest producers and also got orders from the President.

This high business activity change naturally, but in a slow way, when 1800 became 1900. There most difficult competitor was the engine driven vehicles. For ex. by Holsman and Dureya brothers.

The Studebaker Brothers who had cooperation with electrical companies, produced in the beginning cars with electrical drive. This gave no good result and instead they got in cooperation with E-M-F (Everit-Metzger-Flanders) and Milburn Electric.

Studebaker got chassis on which they built the chariot. These were sold over their old sales organisation. They started also to produce engines. Although they had difficulties to make this a good business.

1910 Studebaker took over through their president Fred Fish all shares in E-M-F  from the owner J.P. Morgan. This transaction was mediated by those during year 2000 familiar bankers like Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers. 1911 the Studebaker was established as a vehicle badge. Yet they still produced electrical vehicles.

Now WWI broke out. Studebaker started early before the war  to produce vehicles for several countries. For ex. England. 1913 three brilliant motor technical engineers were employed. Fred Zede, Owen Skelton and Carl Breer. They were newly examined from university. They were called "the three musketeers" and would for many years make much for the American motor technical industry in USA.

After WWI the wagoon production almost disappeared and the new were busses, lorries and the strong growing private motorism.

1926 Studebaker built a test area outside south Bend Ohio, Bendix Hill. Here in South Bend a factory center was also built. One of the Detriot factories was moved here. Studebaker became the very first car producer who used a test works.

Up to WWII Studebaker had 7 factories in USA and one in Canada.

Studebaker was well known for their lorries during WWII. They also offered many special vehicles like the Snow Car. The Swedish defence bought some of these types. This Snow Car was first built to be used in Norway campaign.

After the war a designer, Raymond Loewy was hired. His mission was to design cars to come after the war. Studebaker was the only manufacturer which had complete new models. The others like Chrysler, Ford and GM offered only updated cars from 1942.

From 1951 the production sank notably in spite of  big efforts to offer interesting models. All remember models like Champion after the war, 1953 Commander, Starliner, Golden Hawk, Lark and the last concentration on Avanti. This car was designed by Virgil Exener.

All these model was going to be famous, but were only good seller during a short time. Their competitors changed quickly to meet the new Studebaker. Compare with Lark and Falcon.

The death struggle for Studebaker was prolonged through cooperation with Curtis Wright by building aircraft engines. These were needed for the growing passenger air market 1956. Even the merging with Packard where equivalent activity not were taken advantage of.

Nothing helped Studebaker in the long run and the factory in South Bent was closed 1963 and production was moved to Canada for two years. Here the last 1200 Avanti cars were produced equipped with Packard engines, before also this factory was closed 1966. Some cars were later mounted from left over parts. The Avanti tools were then sold to private manufacturer and cars got Chevrolet V8 engines.

All sub companies of Studebaker were sold to Wagner Electric. Studebaker was then merged with Worthington & Co. There was money left and this was used for reductions possibilities for tax expenses. Thats the way to slaughter a company.

The sub companies made floor machines, STP oil and more. This became Studebaker Worthington Co. This company was kept as long as capital income was positiv. The left over units were then sold to McGraw-Edison Electric.

The name Stududebaker disappeared now from market 1979. Yet after 126 years an old company had been plundered of it's whole capital.

The Studebaker brothers from Solingen in Germany, who started wagon production in USA 1852. One of them a black smith the other chariot builder were now gone.


Page 6

Back

Swedish version

Kaiser

Henry j. Kaiser. Ref. 49
Henry j. Kaiser. Ref. 49
Joseph Frazer. Ref. 49
Joseph Frazer. Ref. 49

Links

Henry Kaiser

Joseph Frazer

Kaiser. Ref. 1
Kaiser. Ref. 1
1946 if you by some reason walked inside Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York to look at the first presentation of the new Kaiser Special.

It was built to be a future car incorporated with new thinking how a car in a peaceful world should be constructed.

It was build cantilevered which mean that body and chassis is united and also equipped with front drive. Both were very unusual i America at this time. Designer was Howard Darrin.

All idéas came from Henry J Kaiser. The car was exhibited for the first time and was supposed to be ready for delivery. But the reality was just another thing. It had been brought inside on the sly and was far from ready made. Several car producers have made the same action. Even Durant himself has fooled the customer once in early 1920.

The problem for Henry Kaiser, who during the war had earned a fortune because his ability to organize and being a great logistician within shipbuilding (Liberty ships) and iron industry. He had made his name known by producing many cargoships. Now he went into a industrial sector which was depending of the market.

He cooperated with Joseph Frazer, who had thorough knowledge about car production. Joseph had started his working career at Packard and then at General Motors and Chrysler. He ended as Director at Willys Overland 1943.

Here we had the conditions to start a production of two new car models. Kaiser and Frazer.

The leading personality and prods was Kaiser , while Frazer was more or less careful. But the time after war was so encouraging because of the need of cars and the market seemed to be endless.

The wild ideas that Kaiser had was that his mark Kaiser should be the cheaper car and Frazer should cover the secure luxury market sector.

This became not the case as the Kaiser's engineers could not solve all problem, with front wheel drive, a new engine and servo steering, in reasonable time. The Kaiser car was going to be much more expensive that the Frazer version.

It was extremely important to be on the market in time before the Three Big producers. Genaral Motors, Ford and Chrysler. A decision was made to produce both cars Kaiser and Frazer with only outer body and inner upholstery differences. Both got the same 6 cylinder side valve engine.

Now 1947 the big show trial at Waldorf Hotel was forgotten and selling started.

The American state owned the world largest building which was used to build bomber air crafts among them the type to be used for the atomic bomb. This building was placed in Willow Run. Now it was important for Kaiser Frazer Co to lay hands on it before General Motors. American government leased most of it for Kaiser.

In this building Kaiser Frazer Co produced cars to 1953 when production moved to the factories of Willys in Toledo Ohio.

Of course the production rolled on up to 1950. At this time the lead realized that the car they offered was old fashioned and could not compete the other producers. For example the car had no top valve  or either a V8 engine as option.  The side valve engine had to low effect. This was primarily solved with a centrifugal compressor which raised the poer to 140 ps. This gave of course overhead problems.

The cars were a construction of late 1940 equipped with goodies and luxury upholsteries to hide the old fashioned constructions. This was aimed to give the cars an impression of a new model. The sales decreased strongly and the general overproduction in the beginning of 1950 acted negative upon the sales and Kaiser cars. Frazer sold only about 70 cars and this was so low that it might not be viable to produce Frazer car.

1952 a new model came with Henry J and this was supposed to be the small, second family car for America. Other Kaiser cars tried to sell on security, for example they had security belt as options already 1949. But the market was not interested in such arguments.

Trials were made to sell a sport car in American fashion 1954. This was Kaiser Darrin. the body was made of armed plastic, just as later Corvette and Volvo Sport. This Darrin car was recognized by doors opened when pushing them inside front fenders. But only 900 were produced. Anyway this car can boast to be the first car to use this material, even if only a few months before Corvette.

Henry Kaiser had what today is named as megalomania when deciding to updated the factory for production of 250000 cars. It was wrong of course as sales was not in that area. Overproduction gathered large with unsold cars. These cars got next year new id number and also new upholstery. It took two years before all these cars were sold.

Now the board had wasted lots of money on old car models and development stood stand still. Reorganizations followed one after the other, and the company changed name and merged with others. This ended with merging to AMC, moving to Canada and finally all production tools were shiped to South America. Production of cars ceased completely in North America with the 1955 model year.

The last business was the taking over the Jeep car which renamed to Kaiser Jeep 1963. Kaiser withdrew because of age from car production and Kaiser Co was sold to AMC 1970.

AMC reorganized everything and out of all different companies came AM General which still 2000 produced the military Jeep Humvee and the civilian Hummer H1.

Henry Kaiser, son of a shoemaker emigrated from Germany died at the age of 85 1967. Joseph Frazer, son after a advocate and judge married to Mary Washington heritage to President George Washington, died at the age of 79. He had withdrew from car business already 1955.

In this way we can thank the  assertive Kaiser and Frazer who could not stand against that a car came out on the market in an unnecessary grandiose image.


Page 7

Back

Swedish version

Plymouth

Info Plymouth Coupé. Ref. 1
Info Plymouth Coupé. Ref. 1
Plymouth. Ref. 1
Plymouth. Ref. 1

Links

Plymouth

Chrysler story


Plymouth. Ref. 1
Plymouth. Ref. 1
When Walter P Chrysler had come so far that he was main owner of his company Chrysler Co. Now he created several new car badges and bought other which was near to be bankruptcy.

Now buyers could find DeSoto and Plymouth in the sellers windows 1927, while Chrysler put his hands on Dodge and saved it from disaster. The coming luxury car from Chrysler got the name Imperial.

About new car badges at Chrysler Cooperation can be said that a man,earlier involved in Kaiser and Frazer cars, Joseph Frazer was working for Chrysler. He was the man who suggested the name Plymouth for one of the new car badges. This name was supposed to wake up national proud among farmers on the American countryside.

Now it was important to have lots of money. In such a situation everything could be done. Specially during depression in the end of 1920.

A new engine had been constructed. It had 4 cylinders and pressurized lubrication. The engine was mounted on rubber just as the chariot. Braking was on 4 wheels. It had oil filter and air cleaner.

1929 Chrysler offered automatic gearbox. Wheels had also a new type of rim. It had the quality for the tires not to come loose, when puncture happened. This rim the J-type profile is today standard over the whole world.

Maxwell 1925 later Chrysler.Picture from an ad site.
Maxwell 1925 later Chrysler.Picture from an ad site.
The first car Chrysler made had still the name Maxwell, but when this company became part of the Corporation, when production started

1925 the mark Maxwell was gone and one could only read Chrysler in front.

The first model of Plymouth was presented with the new engine. It was produced at Maxwell. It had 4 cylinders 1928 and was sold in 100000 copies and became a hard concurrent for Ford.

1933 Plymouth presented the workhorse of all engines. It was the 6 cylinder side valve engine, 3,3 liters cylinder volume. Almost all volume cars in America had this engine type up to 1955, when V8 engine with 157 ps was presented.

Plymouth now sold so many cars that the badge had the third place on selling list, but GM with Buick sold a few more.

Now up to WWII the models of Chrysler started to be old fashioned and the same happened for Plymouth. But all new Chrysler models like Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto that came out on the market 1946, 1947 became very popular.

After 2001 time for Plymouth as a badge was over. Chrysler had tried with different kind of  taking out, but no interest. The last models were named Prowler and Neon.


Page 8

Back

Swedish version

Zimmer

Info Zimmer. Ref. 1

Zimmer Golden Spirit. Ref. 1

Links

Zimmer car

 

Zimmer Golden Spirit. Ref. 1
Zimmer Golden Spirit. Ref. 1
 

In Florida there was 1950 one factory producer of private homes and builder of estate houses, Paul Zimmer. Here he started his business and became known, not for being the cheapest but had highest quality of what he supplied.

His compny was named Zimmer Manufacturing Co. He worked with this and earned much money. 1978 he had the pressure to invest his money in something new.

He tried other type of production in the direction of "fun business". This didn´t gave him the right business feelings. He continued to search for the right "fun".

Now he found and bought an Excalibur neo classic car. This was the right for his business ideas. He found that the Excalibur car didn´t kept the right quality level and of course he thought he could make a better one.

He started a new firm 1977 which had to handle this. It became Zimmer Motor Car Division. Together with his son Bob, they discussed while eating a lunch when Paul drew the design of Golden Spirit car on a napkin. The technical matter were handled to Bob.

1978 the first Zimmer Golden Spirit was ready to roll out from the connection line in Pompano Beach Florida.

The car was almost sold at once and up to 1988 1500 car were produced in different models. Cupé, Cabriolet and Sedan.

In the beginning the Zimmer car was built on a changed Mercury Cougar, but when this model changed to front drive, Zimmer product changed to use Ford Mustang.

1987 Zimmer company got serious economical problems. This was depending on that Paul got a heart attack and coul no more handle the company with the same power.

Other people in the board and employees took over, but they could not replace Paul keeping the production going. The son Bob sold his shares and went over to sell new car of other badges.

This ended with bankruptcy and the company was sold and terminated.

Now a new future owner shows up, Art Zimmer, who by coincidence also had the name Zimmer. He happened to see a Zimmer car outside Sam Dell Dodge´s car sale and became enthusiastic over this car with his name.

Art was the son of a farmer and grown up he built up his own business organisastion in Syracuse N.Y. His firm dealt with hotels restaurants and papers.

This meeting with the Zimmer car ended up with that he bougt the name and parts he could come over. One Zimmer car club was organized and got over 700 remaining car owners as members. All this so Art could learn about the badge.

To company Art Zimmer Neo Classic Motor Car Co was established 1997. After one year of hard work, he could sell the first Zimmer Golden Spirit.

For Art it was as easy to sell as for Paul, who died 2005. The differnce is that Art is keeping a lower profile with producing 10 - 20 cars a year. Their prize 2015 is up to $200000.

The new cars produced by Art Zimmer is able to order online for delivery.


Page 9

Back

Swedish version

Oldsmobile 1947

Links

Read about Olds at Malmo Technical museum. Ref. 1 

 

 

Oldsmobile 1947. Ref. 1
Oldsmobile 1947. Ref. 1
 
Text from Collextion series 1947. Ref. 1 Text about Oldsmobile 1947.

Picture from Collection series 1947. Ref. 1
Picture from collection series 1947. 


Page 10

Back

Swedish version

Lincoln 1947

Info Lincoln 1947. Ref. 1
Info Lincoln 1947. Ref. 1

Links

Lincoln history

Mark IV

C E Johansson

Duxford museum

 

 

Lincoln V12. Ref. 1
Lincoln V12. Ref. 1
 

Henry Leland created the Cadillac car 1900. When General Motors took over the Cadillac name 1917 Leland withdraw with all his money.

He wanted to use this money to create a new luxury car. He gave it the name Lincoln. The first car entered the market 1921. The car had several new constructions such as pressure lubrication and removable cylinder heads. The engine was a side valve V8 5.8 litre and had the maximum speed of 100 km/h. This mark was very popular by gangsters of that time. They often ordered trimmed cars. 
President Coolidge hade a special ordered car. Henry Leland was not able to generate enough money from the factory.

He had economical problems already 1922. During his time with Cadillac he cooperated with Ford. When Lincoln was for sale Henry Ford took over the Lincoln factory and name. Henry did this doing it as a bold stroke when the factory was auctioned. Henry Ford had planned to produce a luxury car to compete with Cadillac. Henry Leland and his son was allowed to continue with Lincoln but Leland could not accept the hard hands from Ford. and months later  Lelands family was out.

A Swedish inventor is deeply involved in the production of the first Cadillac, Ford and the entire American military industry.
Henry Leland realized already at that time when he was working with Ford and Cadillac. Producing spare parts was a hard chapter to get the part able to be fully changeable

In order to solve this he started to produce part with the help of C.E Johansson's patent.

This was proven at the Brookland circuit. Three Cadillac cars were moved there and totally reassembled, mixed and put together again. These three cars were then driven for many laps. Now it was proved that it was possibly to produce parts with sufficient precision. This was possible by using the Swedish inventor C. E. Johansson patent. He had opened a resell firm in USA. He got the patent already 1901 and selling was started 1907.

It became an immediate success. Anyway he had to sell his company to Henry Ford after WWI. Henry  realized  that this patent was necessary to produce spare parts. Although Johansson was fully detached at Ford Factory. Ford owned the creation of Cadillac and here the patent had been tested already 1907.

Leland opened his new firm 1917 after that GM with Durant had taken over Cadillac. The goal of Leland was to take over the production of the Liberty engine which was needed for WWI. For this Johansson's set of gauge blocks had to be used. Henry Ford didn't start to use the patent until 1910 and 1914 it was used for the entire production line at Ford factory.
The Liberty engine was produced at Packard Industries.


Page 11

Back


Swedish version

Erskine 1927

 Erskine. Ref. 1
Erskine. Ref. 1

Länkar
Erskine. Ref. 1
Erskine. Ref. 1

Other Cars MC museums in this website
Back

Museumlist
Adalen car museum
Arnolds_cars & odds ends
Arvika car mc museum
Assa car museum
AUDI Ingolstadt
Autoseum
Autostadt

Barnfind Halsingland
Barnfind Katrineholm
Brosarp Museistation
Bjorkenas mopedmuseum
Brooklands England
Bugatti 2000
Bugatti 2018
BiancoRosso
BMW
Beaulieu England
Bynanders Car MC
Car sport museum Karlskrona
Chaparral carmuseum
Duxford England
Dalén musem
Eds Motorcycle museum
Enoch Thulin Landskrona
Falkoping MC Museum
Foundries and mines
Garage round in Halsingland
Grangesberg Nostalgi
Grafors Collection
Grangesberg Locos
Hannover air museum
Hassleholm mil. vehicles
Holmgren VW collection
Haynes England
Hjorted Mopedmuseum
Harnosand carmuseum
Huskvarna museum
Ivar Car museum Hoting
Koping car museum
Krylbo-Norbergs rail
Ladenburg
My Vehicles
Malmkoping mil. vehicle museum
Malmo Technical museum
Mercedes Benz 2000
Mercedes Benz 2018
MC-Collection Sweden
MC museum Hedemora
Motala museum
MotorTechnica
Munktell museum
Museum joerney 2018
My ArtGlas collection
NSU 2018
Otto Walz 2018
Outbordmuseum Varb.
Swedish pansarmuseum
Peugeot 2018
Porsche 2000
Porsche 2018
Rydaholms Car Museum
Robot Museum Sweden
Regnsjo, SAF cars
Panzeranzer museum
ScaniaVabis museum
Sinsheim museum 2000
Sinsheim museum 2018
Skokloster car museum
SSK Boxcar
SSK-series
Storvik Odds and Ends
Svedino car & airplane
Soderhamn Air Force
Sparreholm museum
Sagen Technical museum
Surahammar MC
Swedish Air force museum
Swedish submarines
Torsong MC museum
Torsby Car MC museum
Technical museum Helsinb
Technical museum Stockholm
Ullared carmuseum
Volkswagen
Volvo Industrial museum
Ziegenhagen

Other sites
Military service
Travels (in Swedish)
My Heritage (in Swedish)

Trainmuseum Sweden
Vasteras Airmuseum
Hagfors Industrimuseum
Karlskrona Marina

Pictures from the following owners have been used in bjorns-story.se with the appropriate permission:
Reference 1: © Björn Bellander 
bjorn.bellander(at)telia.com
Reference 39: © Hasse Carlsson Signalhornet
Reference 48:©Access from website

Reference 49: ©Picture from Wikipedia
Best in Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
Best in resolution min 1024x768. No. of colors 256.
Videos are tested in Windows Media Player and Nero Player.

© Copyright Björn Bellander 2006-