Turistföreningens info skylt. Ref. 1
Foto of info av info plate. Ref. 1
Mines and foundries in Bergslagen
Driving MC around Silber ring to Eastern Silvberg mine
See also
Grangshammars works, Bisberg mine , Ulfshyttan
Text and pictures Björn Bellander. Pics current 2012, 2014
Back  Swedish version
since 060105
Updated
2017-12-29

© Björn Bellander
web counter
web counter

Back

Angelsbergs foundry
Ags foundry
Bispbergs mine
Bjorndammens foundry
Dunshammar
Flatenbergs foundry
Flogbergets mine
Grangshammars works
Hogfors
Klackberg
Karmansbo
Klenshyttan foundry
Korsans works
Kloten
Lapphyttan
Langshyttan
Mellings ruin
Moss mine
Norns foundry
Ohs works
Oljeon
Ombenning
Ostra Silvberg mine
Polhemshjulet
Sala Silver mine
Svinryggen
Sura works museum
Skottvangs mine
Trangfors
Ulfs foundryhyttan
Vintjarns mine

Akers Styckebruk
Roda Jorden
Stjarnsund
Kloster
Loa hytta
Pershyttan
Trummelsbergs
Nora veteran jvg
Falu koppargruva
Hillänget Ludvika
Tykarpsgrottan
Pershyttan
Riddarhyttan koppar
Ramnäs valsverk
Kratte masugn
Mojsen Grangesberg

Medeltida illustration av arbetet i gruvan. Ref. 1
Middelage illustration showing work in the mine. Ref. 1
Planritning av kapellet. Ref. 1
Plane drawing over Nicolai chapel. Ref. 1
Kvarvarande gravhäll. Ref. 1
Remaining graveyard stone in iron. Ref. 1
Kyrkorådets resta minnessten. Ref. 1
The church rose this memorial service. Ref. 1
Gravvård. Ref. 1
Graveyard stone. Ref. 1
The church in Grangshammar. Ref. 1
The church in Grangshammar. Ref. 1
Wooden sculpture in Grangshammar church. Ref. 1
Wooden scupture of St Örjan now in Grangshammar church. Ref. 1
Links
 

Östra Silvbergs gruva. Ref. 1
East Silvberg mine with a depth of 220 m. Ref. 1

East Silvberg mine
Edited text from info plates.

East Silvberg is one of the oldest mines in Sweden. The mine had it's days during 1500 century when much silber was extracted. During the years here there have been a mine chapel, King's manor and other manor houses.
Brown stone stacks show us about intensive activities.

Over this souroundings smoke laid thick from burning fires against the mine walls and ore rostings places. Mine workers worked with pickaxes and skewers in order to pick ore aout of the mine. Horse wagons delivered timber and food, ore was transported to foundries for melting. New agriculture areas were cleared around small living houses..

The mine activity continued for various times up to 1920 during varying profitability. Today a deserted loneliness around the silber mountain and in the vitriol blue water which the sky, mountain and forrest are mirroed.

One particular atraction arose among districts where it was possible to find silber. For true treasure finding spirit people moved to the inaccessible forrests in Bergslagen. The leading men in Sweden, such as bishops, rich farmers and mine owners worked eagerly to be owners of mines and foundries.

The leading mine area owners, the so called "knapare" belonged to the nobility, low adel. They were rich and were legendary and had the right to wear weapons. They were belived to ride horses with silber shoes and supposed to have higher authority than the priest himself.

In the Middle Ages Dalarna there were once two silver mines, this and west Silvberg. in Norrbärke, city of Ludvika.

The name Silvberg, "Silbergshena" is named in a previleged letter already 1354. It is not known which mine is intended, as both mines often are mixed together in several old documents.

For sure we know that eastern Silvberg has been active since 1480 and at this time had it's real head importance. The mine gave considerable amount of silver.

The silver was extracted from lead glans which included gold. The halt of gold was 10-15% of the silver amount. Melting was made at Jöns and other foundries along a water stream. At Jöns foundry there is a info plate about this.

When Gustav Vasa came on the thone of Sweden 1500, this mine was tranferred to the state. Silver mines were supposed to be owned by the crown. The King who informed with great knowledge about how to work with mines. He wrote lots of letters and instructions how to handle things in mines.

The goal was of course to get control over the silver mine men as they had to send all silver to the crown in Stockholm and got money compensation.

Economically iron gave the best result, but silver was more easy to keep in bars. The royal silver was kept in Eskils state room.

Mddle Ages mining usually took place in surface openings and horizontal mining walkplaces into the openings sides. They were called stolls or stoll lines.
In order to make these openings or holes they made fires against the mine walls. One meter long wood stocks are raised against the stone wall and are lit. This fire is heating the wall up, which  now easily cracks i pieces whith the help of  pickaxes and skewers. In this way a depth of near 10 cm can be taken away.

This way of work is extremly dangerous for health and the gases is spread all over in the mine holes. Here bad dressed workers fighted with darkness, coldness, humidity and fearnes. Even the heat after fire was difficult. Many were burned at accidents, when working with the hot wall.

At copper and silver mines there were already during Middle Ages time special minehand workers. There were hard to get labours for this risky and dangerous work. Many accepted this work because they could go free from military duty. People who had beed judged for criminality could go free and people without job and money got amnesty if the took this kind of work.

To get this people to act properly royal letter gave order that only mine leader were allowed to carry weapons while these minehands only were alowed to carry a food knife as most. At minor mines the owner had mainly their own house worker.

About 1510 the King took over Sala silver mine. Easter Silvberg is then only written as "the Gambla Sölffbergitt" and lost it's importance.

1597 it is assumed that the main mine is emptied from silver. Anyway work continued for 150 years west of this part. Later investigations found that the main mine was used down to 220 meters.

Long in 1800 century the fireing method was used and in Sala Silver mine burning didn't ended until 1870. Blasting with powder was used from middle of 1700. After this time dynamite was used from 1870.

During 1700 and up to middle of 1800 sulphur ore was broken in eastern Silvberg. From 1870 and 100 years ahead huge amount of red color paint was produced from the big rests of silver ore.The ground stones from the chapel was used from an owen used for get silver. At the end of 1800 activities ended and the mine hole were naturally filled with water.

Resting activity siezed 1920 and the cable line was demolished 1931. Totally the amount of silver which came from this mine during the years 1630 up to 1920 was only 91.3 kg. Profitability at eastern Silvberg never became as good as during it's heydays for almost 600 years ago.

Entré till Nicolai kapell. Ref. 1
The entrance into the Middle Ages Saint Nicolai chapel. Ref. 1

Saint Nicolai chapel
Edited text from info plates. A broad stonewall fence in the cemetery where once the old Eastern Silvberg old chapel was situated. This chapel was built around 1400.

During 1500 the capel was rebuilt and became a spectacular house of God built with substantial timber, here where no master men used stones for buildings. Rich low adel and mine owners did it possible to get expensive furnishings, like crucifix, altar cabinets and pictures of saints. The chapel was inside decorated with paintings according to practice of the time.

K.N. Iverus visited the place 1833. He made a drawing over the chapel. It was completly built with imposing timber. Iverus called this timber for "colosal tree, which can't be found in Thuna - hardly in Särna...." Outside, the walls were  painted red and the roof was covered with tree chips painted with red tar. In the 1700 the chapel was painted white outside

In the year 1834 a new church was ready built in the newly started works of Grängshammar.

1854 a permission was let to tear down the old chapel as the antic academy had found that the chapel building had no remarkable showings that make it worth to keep. The building was at that time in so bad condition that it if a windy day could fall into pieces.

Before the chapel was teared down all things inside was sold on auction and a measured drawing was made by A.E. Svedelius. See illustration.
The ground stoned was taken to build a red color owen, timber became wood in the mine. From the furnishings a crucifix and  baptismal font where sent to Silvbergs church in Grängshammar, while the altar cabinet and tree sculptures are kept in Dalarna museum.

The most famous  wooed sculpture show Saint Göran and the dragon. St Göran or St Örjan were strong figures for freedom and independence and can be found in several churches in Dalarna. At the copper mountain Falun a fraternity was constituted with the name Örjan by the mine owners.

The foundation for the chapel was restored and the sourrounding church stone fence was updated 1940. The grave humps and chapel foundation were digged out. Silvbergs church ordered a remembering stone over all those people who had lived and worked during hundrads of years at this place.

From all those grave iron plates which once were placed over a grave is there only one left today. When the church yard during the period, when it had degenerated, many of those iron plates were taken to use for bake owens and the like.

In summertime church service is held on the old chapel place.

Karta över Östra Silvbergs gruva. Ref. 1

Other Car MC museums in this website

Museumlist
Adalen car museum
Arnolds_cars & odds ends
Arvika car mc museum
Assa car museum
AUDI Ingolstadt
Autoseum
Autostadt

Barnfind Halsingland
Barnfind Katrineholm
Brosarp Museistation
Bjorkenas mopedmuseum
Brooklands England
Bugatti
BiancoRosso
BMW
Beaulieu England
Bynanders Car MC
Car sport museum Karlskrona
Chaparral carmuseum
Duxford England
Dalén musem
Eds Motorcycle museum
Enoch Thulin Landskrona
Falkoping MC Museum
Foundries and mines
Garage round in Halsingland
Grangesberg Nostalgi
Grafors Collection
Grangesberg Locos
Hannover air museum
Hassleholm mil. vehicles
Holmgren VW collection
Haynes England
Hjorted Mopedmuseum
Harnosand carmuseum
Huskvarna museum
Ivar Car museum Hoting
Koping car museum
Krylbo-Norbergs rail
Ladenburg
My Vehicles
Malmkoping mil. vehicle museum
Malmo Technical museum
Mercedes Benz
MC-Collection Sweden
MC museum Hedemora
Motala museum
MotorTechnica
Munktell museum
Outbordmuseum Varb.
Porsche
Rydaholms Car Museum
Robot Museum Sweden
Regnsjo, SAF cars
Panzeranzer museum
ScaniaVabis museum
Sinsheim museum
Skokloster car museum
SSK Boxcar
SSK-series
Storvik Odds and Ends
Svedino car & airplane
Soderhamn Air Force
Sparreholm museum
Sagen Technical museum
Surahammar MC
Swedish Air force museum
Swedish submarines
Torsong MC museum
Torsby Car MC museum
Technical museum Helsinb
Technical museum Stockholm
Ullared carmuseum
Volkswagen
Volvo Industrial museum
Ziegenhagen

Other sites
Military service
Travels
My Heritage

Trainmuseum Sweden
Vasteras Airmuseum
Hagfors Industrimuseum
Karlskrona Marina

Pictures from the following owners have been used in bjorns-story.se with the apropriate permission:
Reference 1: © Björn Bellander bjorn.bellander(at)telia.com
Best in Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
Best in resolution min 1024x768. No. of colors 256.
Videos are tested in Windows Media Player and Nero Player.

© Copyright Björn Bellander 2006-