Chosen text from paper Signalhornet 7-8 1978. Ref. 39.
Once upon a time there was a grocer in city of Torsby. The year
was 1909 or earlier.
His name was Anders Rudolf
Lindström. 1884-1932. One can have the feeling that
he was not sufficient with this and thought that it was not his
task i life.
In spare time he planned to produce something
which should be alike a self rolling vehicle. In his
storeroom he was working with assembling his first
It was built up with iron wheels made by a
blacksmith in Fernsbol. We don't know much more
about this rolling vessel. It was not just nothing
more than a horse wagon.
It is said that during the first test it carried
a tremendous sound on the Torsby streets.
Furthermore the engine stopped unfounded when
climbing uphill. The grocery errand boy had to push.
This first car became the main groundwork for his
During WWI Lindstrom started a workshop. He
understood that this was his main task in life. He
was not afraid to tell people what his goal was, a
self rolling vehicle. In this way he was just the
same type as the locomotive driver
Hockenstrom in Bollnas. None of them where much
in a harry.
Some time after 1919 Lindstrom build a workshop. It's place
was just behind job center house today. The work shop stayed in
place till 1965.
An important man for Lindstroms car building had
moved to Torsby, Simon Resare. He had started to
produce small boat engines. He was also an educated
joiner and foreman.
Lindström got good contact with this man and he got
also a helper in his works with Gottfrid Hansson.
Anders Lindström was not the man who worked with
the production. It was a luck that Gottfrid had
moved to Torsby and could take over the lead of car
Now a car was growing in the old workshop. The
engine which Anders had made drawings for, was made
Solberga Works in Forshaga. All which during the
second part of 1900 have worked at machine shops may
remember the well known
Solberga drilling machine.
The assembling of the engine which Resare was
responsible for, had 2 cyl. in a V and was air cold.
It gave 20 ps. This was the cause for the the car
got a virtual cooler, made of standing small copper
pipes. Gottfrid designed the car body. According the
customary of the time it was made of veneer sheet.
The car had place for three persons. Power for
driving was over cardan to the rear wheels. Some
uncertainty about this is about the third car, which
had a 4 cyl. engine and was water or air cold.
The frame was constructed by 2" pipes with crossovers.
Lindstrom's workshop had no gas welding. Instead the frame had
to be brass brazed. For this they used a blowtorch. Gas welding
was not common until 1916, when Gustaf Dalén started a welding
school at AGA in Stockholm. Gottfrid tells that they made the
cooler from brass pipes, but it was just a virtual one. The third
car may also been air cold?
|The interior equipment was made by a saddler
firm owned by
Fritz Bergman. The engine was tested secretly inside
the works. All this work took 2 years.
The 79 years old Gottfrind Hansson told Bengt Hansson who has
written the article in motor magazine Signalhornet 1978.
"When we was going to drive the car out of the works, I
was really nervous and drove backwards against a tree. We had to
cur down it and some smaller trees in order to drive the car out. Then
we had free way".
The car was named to LT-car. The letters came from
Lindstrom- Torsby, but people cold it "Slow
Production". In Swedish "Langsam tillverkning".
Whole this project had of course got much interest
in Torsby and around. Even the country councilor Emil Rylander
had got a promise to buy the first ready made car for
6000 Skr. He was the most interested person to get the car ready made. When the first car was delivered
Lindstrom had orders for 50 cars.
Now Lindstrom had been tired of building cars and
instead continued to work with ordinary things in
his shop. Among this building car body. In county of Varmland it is supposed that there is a Stoewer 1910
equipped with a Lindstrom car body.
The project with the LT-car was sold to two men, who had started a firm in Örebro, Alcometall
1922. There were two engineers Carl Adolf von Malmberg
and Carl Molin.
They had returned from USA where they had got a
patent for an alloy which was called Dirigold. It
was used for table sets, household utensils and
others. But even for handles and equipment for cars.
They bought the n:o three car for a small sum of
and also employed Simon Resare. They needed a good
foreman. Here it was the meaning that the third car
was to be built. It got a 4 cyl. engine. The car
became though not ready made because the two engineers
sold their firm and chose to start in USA 1925
instead. There was more money to earn in USA.
In any way Alco metal had a good living of their
product range. They owned the rights for the alloy
in Europe up to 1939. In this company Johnsson &
Hill was involved. Later named Johnsson Metal, which
The spin off today from AlcoMetal is Alco
Propeller which is living today, 2014. They produce
propellers and turbine parts and is working on the
international market. In cooperation with Österby
Today the owner structure is so difficult that any
connection with the LT car is hard to see.
Simon Resare now moved back with the car to
Torsby 1925 and made it ready in the old works of
Lindstrom. The ready car n:o 3 was sold to Julius in
Kallnas in Norway. He sold it later to Joan Bye in
Grue-Finnskog. This next last owner changed it
against 2 horse harness and 2 halters from Fritiof
Hakansson in Flisa. Here all information ends,
mostly for Fritiof's bad memory and age.
This was the way that Sweden developed. From a
local artful and stubborn men, who had crazy ideas,
several large international companies were created.
The LT car has it's place in Swedish industrial
history. Compare names like
Ljungström, Nobel och